Sunday, July 12, 2015

Summer Shows in Swing!



Crow Town Gallery 2015
First group show to open this week!
It is an honor to be included among this year's resident artists at Crow Town Gallery, alongside Bonnie Beard, Sheryl Denbo, and Stephen Dinsmore. 


Group Show #1 (all four artists): Opens Thursday, July 16 at 7:00 p.m.
Group Show #2 (all four artists): Opens Thursday,  August 13 at 7:00 p.m.

Sheryl Denbo Website
Stephen Dinsmore Website
Shanna Wheelock Website
Bonnie Beard Website


Something My-Sti-Cal
Nextdoor Gallery
Estport, Maine


Opening Reception
Friday, July 17th, 6:00-8:00 p.m.


Artsipelago Artist Studio Tour
July 18 and 19
10am-5pm eastern time
Come visit me during tour weekend for a glimpse at my studio and art practice!


Artsipelago Website


Traces: Vanishing Landscapes
August 28-September 19, 2015
Harlow Gallery, Hallowell, Maine

 The Silence Between
Ceramic, by Shanna Wheelock

Traces: Vanishing Landscapes” highlights the visions of three Maine artists who examine what is left behind as the state’s economy “modernizes” and shifts.  The exhibit offers an engaging and contemporary dialogue on changing Maine life that is relevant throughout the state.  At the same time, the deep personal connections that Sarah Brayman, Lisa Tyson Ennis and Shanna Wheelock bring to their subject matter ensures a heartfelt meditation on change, threading together sense of place and small-town life. Permeating these three artists’ visions is a respect for common objects, and the people who made, used or sold them. National and global trends, such as the international migration of industry, fisheries depletion, chain-store domination of retail, and reorganization and consolidation of education will be grounded in the concrete realities of the areas the artists call home: Lubec and Brunswick areas of Maine, as well as the Canadian isle of Newfoundland.  


Cobscook Pottery is OPEN for the season!

Pottery, art, jewelry. Open most days this summer by chance or appointment. Look for the OPEN flag and sign in North Lubec. I am always happy to open off hours to accommodate your needs. Just give me a call or send me an email through my website or facebook:
Cobscook Pottery on Facebook

It's 11:30 at night a few days before I deliver work for two shows and prepare for a weekend of open studio time in the Artsipelago tour. Aside from that, the shop is open most days and in between greeting customers I am nose to the grindstone creating art and pottery.

People who have known me for years know very well the kind of work pace I keep. In the past, a docket like this one  (toss in an art opening and two days of gallery sitting to the aforementioned list!) would have sent me into a total flurry of fluster. Amazingly, I am feeling quite calm. I AM the proverbial "eye of the storm."

I decided about a week and a half ago to take a short break from pottery production in order to find my groove in studio main. I have had some ideas for sculptural wall pieces that I call "Column Constructions" and decided to finally solidify those ideas. With the help of a local engineer who came over to brainstorm with me and several tubes of high test epoxy, it looks like I am good to go! I'm excited to be showing new work at Crow Town Gallery later this week, and as always, the opening reception will be a blast, complete with good eats, wine, and music.

This summer is a transition phase of sorts. In summers past I spent a chunk of time on the road vending pottery. This summer I am keeping it all closer to home to focus on four gallery exhibits. As well, the herring orders are piling up and at this point it seems most wise to stay put and keep creating. Hey, I won't argue with that!

It's a bit too late and I'm a bit too tired to get deep with this blog entry. For now, I will succumb to these droopy eyelids and get some much needed shuteye.

Loving summer in Lubec!

No comments: