Sunday, April 12, 2009

Snowy Easter Day Downeast




Yes, it is true, it is snowing here in Lubec on Easter Day, April 12, 2009. It's coming down at a good clip too. Who would have thought this would happen so late into the season. But here it is. My big dilemma is that I was quite productive in the studio yesterday. Yes, dilemma. Since the nights are still below freezing temps, I have to carry all my wet work into the house for drying. Today the pots are ready for trimming, but that means lugging them all back out to the barn. I need to figure out how to get them safely into the studio through the wind and wet. (Covering with plastic I foresee a disaster with the wind!). I am holding out one more hour before I lug the pots out. Maybe....maybe the snow will subside by then? A little bit anyway?

Easter is a quiet holiday for Chris and me. Our family members are each doing their "own thing". We prefer to keep things low key, no travel, and enjoy the quiet. Chris will no doubt be writing most of the day, and I will spend time in the studio. I woke at 6:00 a.m. and did some general housecleaning and put on a special pot of Corsican Beef Stew for dinner tonight. It all feels pretty mellow.

It felt good to be at the wheel for the second weekend in a row. Jumping back in last week left my body a bit sore, and a wheel burn on my forearm. I'm not used to sitting at the wheel for hours on end yet. Yesterday's session feels like it went a bit more smoothly. I moved from the smaller mini pots (my warm-up) to some medium-sized spiral bowls. Also, a couple fellow-Lubeckers are opening a yarn and dog supply shop (yes, you read that right, yarn AND dog supplies....I know, funny sounding combo isn't it?) and they asked if I would make some yarn bowls. I had never heard of a yarn bowl before, so I did some peeking around on the web. I am going to see what I can come up with. Since I am often victim to the stray-rolling yarn-ball myself, I can see how this may be something very useful.

Off I go...to get the studio ready for a morning of trimming.

3 comments:

SHANNA WHEELOCK said...

pots made it tot he studio in one piece - and back in house again. amazing.

stew...all kinds of yummy stuff! garlic, wine, and lots of rosemary. yum!

Curious Curandera said...

Really great Pics!

SHANNA WHEELOCK said...

Thanks, Curious Curandera!